Hour 0 (7:50am):
It's 10 minutes till the readathon, and I'm all set with the coffee and my first book which will be Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara. The cat is all over me already. I can see he will be a distraction.
Hour 1 (8:40am):
Oh my god, I'm ready to KILL this cat! He's been pulling stuff off the coffee table, clawing at our closet doors, running crazily around the apartment. I've read 48 pages in 50 minutes which isn;t bad. But: AHHH. *strangles cat*.
Hour 2 (10:00am):
I'm 95 pages into Cast In Silence. Kaylin is in trouble as usual and looks like this book will center on the fiefs of Elantra. My reading pace doesn't feel so great, because I have to keep rereading parts (some to try to understand what was just said, and some because the cat is still at it).
Hour 3 (11:00 am):
The cat finally settled down and took a nap on top of me while I read on the couch. Took a break to have cereal and do the Where in the World is the read-a-thon mini challenge. Page 130 of Cast in Silence now. Kaylin is in the middle of a fight. Read for 2 hrs, 40 minutes out of the 3 hours.
Hour 4 (12:15)
This is a video of the cat in case you're curious. He's very active. Took 2 more breaks in the last hour for a snack and because my mother-in-law called. On page 163 now. Still having those issues with Sagara - hard to understand what characters MEAN (it's one of the drawbacks of this series: everyone withholds things from the main character, Kaylin). I've probably read for 3 hours, 30 minutes out of the 4 hours now.
Hour 5 (1:00pm)
Still going but in the last hour I took more of a break :) I am 175 pages in now, so that's like 10 pages in 45 min? HEE. I did have lunch - a hamburger happy meal and now having a chocolate sundae. I also went to visit other people's pages and twitter and everyone's doing so much better than I am! haha. And I entered the excerpt mini challenge at Eclectic/Eccentric (I've read 2 of the 3 books she excerpts). Read for 4 out of the 5 hours now.
Hour 6 (2:10pm)
My husband wants me to tell you all that not only did he get me socks when I asked for them, he put them on my feet while I kept reading. Thank you, sweet man! On page 215, ready to move on to another book as a break. Trying to do the Book cover challenge which is hard! I think I'd know more if I read more YA. So far I have 10 covers figured out. Read for 4hrs 50 min out of the 6 hours now.
Hour 7 (3:10pm)
Taking WAY too much time on the mini challenge of the last hour. Ack, I know 13 books, but they want 15 books. Haven't read since the last update. Consider it a long break :P
Hour 8 (4:10pm)
The cat crawled on my lap for 20 minutes again. I moved onto to reading manga for a bit so I read 194 pages of Nightschool, Volume 1 by Svetlana Chmakova which I got a BEA. It starts really in the middle of things but it's interesting. I might read the second one to see where it goes. Next up, another manga - the James Patterson graphic novelization of his Maximum Ride series (also picked up at BEA). I've been reading for 6 and a half hours out of 8 hours now.
Hour 9 (5:00pm)
I did some tidying and had some tea with biscotti. Then got a neckrub from the husband :) so now I feel better. Kind of tiring sitting around all day reading! I just read 206 pages of the Maximum Ride manga. I think I like it better than Nightschool, but the story feels a bit predictable.
Hour 10 (6:00pm)
I tweeted this: "I turned around & Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer was on top of the #readathon pile. Cycling enthusiast husband blames cat". It's true. So I read about 25 pages of that, and finished the Maximum Ride manga. Lets see what mini challenges are up this hour.. Hey, one of the LJers I just added won something! Congrats kiwiria ! :)
Hour 11 (7:20pm)
The cat has been on top of me for the last 30 min so I couldn't update. 270 pages into Cast in Silence now. Things got interesting, a different kind of Nightshade. Had dumplings for a pre-dinner snack. Just did the Reading is Fundamental mini-challenge. Noticing a lot of challenges want pictures. I should have recharged my camera. Oh well.
Hour 12 (8:08pm)
I'm still reading.. page 300 of Cast in Silence. The cat is really into sleeping on top of me.
1. What are you reading right now? Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara
2. How many books have you read so far? 2 and a half books.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I'm just really looking forward to finishing Cast in Silence, which is showing itself to be a read that is taking me longer than I think I usually would take (40pgs an hour with this one, slow for me).
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Not really. Just tell people.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? It's not bad to be interrupted. I take it as a break! :)
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How tiring it is to lie around reading for hours and hours!!
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Can't think of any at the moment
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? I would start with a shorter book. And buy more snacks. Also I'd remember to recharge my camera for mini-challenges that require photos.
9. Are you getting tired yet? YES.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Taking breaks is a good idea. Even for 10 minutes an hour. It helps.Hour 13 (9:00pm):
I did bupkis this hour! This ended up being another break because husband got snacks to keep me going and I've been chowing down and being online. I also took a shower - I have an edge - MINT shampoo and bodywash! It invigorates! I suppose I should read now..
Hour 14 (10:00pm):
Did the Energize Yourself! A Yoga Mini-Challenge hosted by Soleil mini challenge. Downward-facing-dog I liked. 332 pages into Cast in Silence. Cat has taken to eating my hair. So maybe the mint shampoo was a bad idea.
Hour 15 (11:10pm):
362 pages into Cast in Silence.About 100 pages away from the end. The hours are sort of flowing into each other now..
Hour 16 (12:13am):
Spent some time on twitter and visiting other blogs. Then had some tea and the husband made me laugh by dancing around the apartment. Then it was already 11:40! I have no idea how that happened. Anyway, read up to page 383, same book.
Hour 17 (1:17am)
It's late!! Page 417 of Cast in Silence. About 50 pages from the end! :) I also entered the Wisdom of the Age Challenge and the Make Something challenge.
Hour 18/19 (2:30am)
OK. Finished Cast in Silence! 461 pages. Now I'm POOPED, and I have to drive people around tomorrow morning so I'm off to bed.
End of event meme:
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Probably when we started getting into the teens :)
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Last weekend I was perfectly content reading FIre by Kristin Cashore for hours at a time.
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope, I think it's pretty great
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The cheerleaders were all AWESOME. Thank you.
5. How many books did you read? 3 (but two were manga. Still happy with that).
6. What were the names of the books you read? Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara, Nightschool, Volume 1 by Svetlana Chmakova, and Maximum Ride #1 (manga) by James Patterson
7. Which book did you enjoy most? I think I liked Cast in Silence most, but Maximum Ride was probably more "fun"
8. Which did you enjoy least? Nightschool, Volume 1 by Svetlana Chmakova
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Quite likely if I have that weekend free. I think I'd still want to be a reader but maybe I'd take more time out to cheer others.
Number of books completed: 3
Total number of pages read: 1027
Number of hours reading: 15 hours out of 19