My pet peeves with series has to do with the fact that there are a LOT of series out there. It's a lot to juggle in my mind and keep track of, especially since it takes years to finish a series. I like series, but its easier to start one that is finished than one that's ongoing, and easier to start one by an author I know I like than a new author I'm not sure of. I think that I may actually prefer standalones. Authors that write mostly standalones - Neil Gaiman, Robin McKinley, Patricia McKillip (besides the Riddlemaster of Hed). Actually - duologies and trilogies are fine too. Open ended series.. beginning to feel tired. This is the list of series I'm reading right now:
1) Wen Spencer - need to start book 4 of 4 in the Ukiah Oregon series
2) Wen Spencer - need to start book 2 of 2? maybe in the Tinker series
3) Patricia Briggs - read 2 out of 7(!!), in the Mercy Thompson series (book 3 - Iron Kissed is out Jan 08)
4) Kim Harrison - need to start book 3 of ??? (5 so far) in the Hollows series
5) Rachel Caine - need to start book 3 of ??(6 so far) in the Weather Warden series
6) Rachel Caine - need to start book 2 of ?? (3 so far) in the Morganville Vampires series
7) Dawn Cook - need to start book 2 of 4 in the Truth series
8) Kat Richardson - need to start book 2 of ?? (2 so far) in the Greywalker series
9) Faith Hunter - need to start book 2 of ?? (3 so far) in the Apocalpse series (I don't know the name of this series really)
10) Michelle Sagara - read 2 of ?? (5 so far) in the Cast in series (book 3 will be out August 07)
11) Garth Nix - started reading his Keys of the Kingdom series (book 1). Waiting for book 7 of 7 to go through it since its fast reading. YA.
12) Anne Bishop - I read book 1 of her Ephemera series (prob a trilogy), not really interested in continuing. Maybe.
13) Mindy Klasky - Need to read book 4 of 5 in her Glasswright series.
14) Moira J. Moore - Need to read book 2 of ?? (around 4 so far) in her Hero series
15) Anne Bishop - Read her Jewels trilogy, need to read her 2 other books from this world (continuations?) - Dreams made Flesh, Tangled Webs..
16) Sharon Shinn - Read book 1 of her Twelve Houses series.. not sure if I want to read 2 and 3 out of ??.
17) Karen Chance - Read book 2 of ?? in her Shadows series.
18) S. L. Viehl - Reading book 1 of 7 so far in her Stardoc series
19) Marie Brennan - Reading book 2 of 2 in her Doppleganger duology (I think)
20) Louise Rennison - Read book 2 of ?? (7 so far) in her Georgia Nicolson series
21) Casey Daniels - Read book 2 of ?? (at least 3 so far).. in her Pepper Martin series. Probably will not continue.
22) Ilona Andrews - Read book 1 of 2 so far of her Magic series
23) Lilith Saintcrow - Read book 2 of ?? in her Dante Valentine series
24) Karin Lowachee - Read book 1 of 3 in her series, will continue eventually.
25) Katie MacAlister - Read up to book 3 of her Aisling Grey, Guardian series, not really interested in continuing.
26) Janet Evanovich - Read book 1 of ... ??? 13 so far in her Stephanie Plum series. Not interested in continuing.
27) MaryJanice Davidson - Read book 1 of ?? in her Undead series
28) Holly Black - Read book 2 of 3 in her Modern Faery Tale series.
29) Kristen Britain - Read book 2 of 3 (I think) in her Green Rider series.. Not really into it.. may finish though.
30) Ellen Schreiner - Read book 1 of ?? (3 so far) of her Vampire Kisses series
31) Sophie Kinsella - Read book 2 of ?? (5 so far) of her Shopaholic series
32) Kelley Armstrong - Read book 1 of ?? (8 so far) of her Otherwold series
33) Stephenie Meyer - Read book 1 of ?? (3 so far) of her series
34) Clare B. Dunkle - Read book 1 of 3 in her Hollow Kingdom series
There are other series I'm not going to even mention here since I'm now very tired. At least 10 more. At least.
K - I figured out another pet peeve - NOT KNOWING when a series is going to end!!
Originally posted on janicu.vox.com